Sunday, December 6, 2009

We did it!

On Saturday, Mariana and I ran together (yes, ran the whole way) to complete the Lollipop Run 5K, which benefitted Girls on the Run. There were about 1,000 participants out on Saturday and most of the runners were made up of 3rd to 5th grade girls who participated in the Girls on the Run fall program at their school.


For the Lollipop Race, each girl in the program was paired up with an adult volunteer Running Buddy who ran with the girls from start to finish. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Mariana, a 5th grader from Marshall Elementary School, and I were paired up together and completed the race together. I was so proud of Mariana for her hard work leading up to the race, running the entire race, and doing it with a smile. Her mom even came to cheer her on, as it was her last year in the Girls on the Run program.


Here are some pictures from the event...



Mariana and I pre-race





A few of the Marshall Elementary School team members enjoying each other and their victory lollipops!



Mariana and I post race with victory lollipop in hand.



Mariana, her proud mother and I in front of the finish line.




I must say, the Lollipop Race was a wonderful and inspiring way to spend a brisk Saturday morning. The overall feeling of the event and program can be summed up perfectly by a cheer I heard throughout the morning from various GOTR teams...


Girls on the Run
Girls on the Run
Girls on the Run is so much FUN! 

1 comment: